Tuesday, October 21, 2008

Oral Assessment Ideas! WOW!

Often my students in my classroom say that they are lost and need help pinpointing where we are at given time and that given lesson, so we stop and redirect each other. Then I ask them what's the opposite of "lost" they say "found", "I'm found!". I think this is the cutest expression from them, when they are not lost anymore. :)
This is exactly how I am beginning to feel in finding this excellent website on Oral Assessment. I was doing a search on Oral Assessment Rubrics, I had one by the way, but I did not want to type it all, I wish I had a scanner. Perhaps, I can fax a copy of it to Marilee and she can post it on blackboard. However, I have found this website in my searches, and I don't feel so lost anymore. I now have an idea of where I want to take my research as I tailor this to fit my research question. Here it is:

: (http://www.cal.org/twi/rubrics/oraltask.html)
Sample Tasks To Elicit Oral Language
Interviews
20 questions
interview a classmate
interview a community helper
interview a person asking biographical information
do a survey
Discussions
calendar activities
daily news/current events
book discussion
language experience- retelling
be a "person" and speak to the class
class debate
Sequencing pictures and discussion
Presentations
show and tell
puddle or math problems
rhymes w/question and answer
adapt jazz chants and songs
share knowledge about exploration and experimentation
book review
advertisement
Dramatization and Role playing
acting out stories/plays
take a character and act it out
act out your own story
TV show
be a reported and broadcast the news

Oral Rubric:
This is the website I found that I plan on using the Oral Rubric from for 2nd grade.
http://www.cal.org/twi/rubrics/oral1-5.pdf

1 comment:

languagemcr said...

I'm glad you listed the oral assessments that are useful for you here. It helps with the "variety" and "multimodal" thing.
Marilee