Thursday, October 30, 2008

O'Malley/Pierce Chapter 3 Portfolio Assessment

This chapter described Portfolios are and aren't. I have heard of the Whole Language Programs since the 1990's and I was surprised to read here that there is little research done on use of Portfolios. It was interesting to read that the Portfolios evolved out of the arts. In reading about this I couldn't help but to evaluate my teaching styles and techniques as it related to Whole Language approach. Some of the ideas here that I follow in the Whole Language approach is my use of thematic curriculum, using other books other than basal readers, learner-centered ( as we approach responses and critical pedagogy in response to data), meaningful (relevant material), and authentic literature ( Multicultural literature both fiction and non-fiction). Prior knowledge (funds of knowledge) is attained, engagement in oral and written language and to some extent some use of rubrics and/or checklists.
On the other hand, I have not used the Portfolios the way they were meant to be used as a means of alternative assessment. Here I would say that the type of Portfolio that I have used is between a Showcase and a Collections. I have collected students tests in Math, writing, and samples of Reading vocabulary and Fluency tests. Other assignments in the Portfolios are final products and not so much of things in progress. Some of the rubrics if any used are the ones that I am to use in assessing their writing for the end of level assessments in reading and writing, but nothing that we as a class (students and teacher) have created. It seems to me just a jumble of assignments placed in a folder, and the only system in place here is that its all thematic, other than that it's a pile of work the students completed, good work and not so good, selected by just me the teacher.
It seems to me that the underlying purpose of Portfolios are meant to be that of Assessment Portfolios. In this format the contents show growth, contents selected by both student and teacher, criteria specified by both students and teacher, can be made into a rubric or checklist, assessed by the student, peers, and teacher, and goals are made and/or met. This seems to be the ideal Portfolio, one which I have not implemented in all my teaching experiences.
Some of the ideas in this chapter I would like to try is to become more systematic in the use of Portfolios. I would like to begin by having students self assess and I liked the Figure 3.4 on page 44 where students were asked Reading and Writing questions to reflect on themselves. But, the most important part of Portfolios would be to begin with a goal in mind. I would have to begin with setting the purpose. My only weakness here is that I would be the only one in my site to use this. This is not used in our school and I don't know about the school district. So it is up to each individual teacher to use as his/her discretion.
What I would like to share with my coworkers are some of the Figures here so that this can get the ball rolling toward a more systematic Portfolio use for the whole school.

3 comments:

languagemcr said...

Impressive self analysis of assessment. You are in company when you write about collecting student work but not including them in the self assessment. I like your plan to share with your school community and begin to include your students in the process.
Marilee

~Superwoman~ said...

HI Marilee, I had a question about the goal or purpose of the use of portfolios. Is the purpose or goal something that we (students and I) write together , or is it something that the teacher can write on his/her own? Is there much of a difference if students are part of that process? I can see how they can and need to write their own personal goals but I didn't know about the first step with the purpose.

languagemcr said...

Joanne,
It depends on your purpose and your stakeholders. They could be the parents, the students, or the school/district. What is needed most?
We'll talk about this tonight.
Marilee