Sunday, July 27, 2008

WebQuests and Triadic Scaffolds

Dodge, B. (1997). Webquests. Retrieved July 22, 2008, from San Diego State University WebQuest site: http://webquest.sdsu.edu/about webquests.html

This article defined WebQuests as an inquiry-oriented activity in which some or all the information that learners interact with comes from resources on the internet, optionally supplemented with videoconferencing. It also described two kinds of Webquests Short term and Long term. Short term meaning it can be completed in one to three class periods. Long term can take between one week and a month in a classroom. In my own words WebQuests are kind of like Websites that are focused on critical pedagogy and a central theme. It is interactive and hooks the WebQuester. Some of the benefits of WebQuests include skill in Comparing, Classifying, Inducing, Deducing, Analyzing errors, Constructing support, Abstraction, and Analyzing perspectives. Whew!

I have made a WebQuest before and I have it saved on a CD. It was based on a book called Kumak's House by Michael Bania. I remember it took a long time much like the Website I'm making now and then I was a little more energetic. I haven't had too much thought or need to create another one. That was my personal connection to this reading. When I get back I will take a look at the WebQuest. Hmmm!

My question is what are the differences between Websites and WebQuests. I had thought about that in my personal definitions of WebQuests. If I had made this WebQuest on Yup'ik Level 1 Standards instead of a Website, I am trying to think how much of a difference they would be.

Meskill, C. (2005). Triadic scaffolds: Tools for teaching english language learners with computers. Language Learning & Technology, 9, 46-59.

This research article is about study done on triadic discourse (teacher, learner, computer). This article emphasizes that computer use in language learning situations and especially with ESOL students captures, motivates, and anchors learners attention to and render comprehensible the target language they hear and see on and around the computer screen (p. 46). Data collecting techniques used here were audio recorded interviews, informal conversations, and field notes on non-verbal cues. So this research resulted in showing that teachers make all the difference in the classroom setting. Although the use of computers enhances the learning outcomes and language, teachers have a critical role in meeting the needs of children. Language learning can be assisted through careful planning and this article also made reference to CALL.
I hope this is what we have been planning for in this class. I like how this article talks about the teacher being vital in success in student language learning, but also to use computers in a way that would benefit the learners.
My question here is what is the research question? Sabine, did I miss it? I wanted to know that.

1 comment:

quana said...

Hey Joanne,
it was an "examination...." stated in the abstract.:-)
Awesome pictures- thanks for sharing. You go girl, flip that hair!