Wednesday, July 9, 2008

Chapter 6- Richards

Richards, J. C. (2001) Course planning and syllabus design. In Curriculum development in language teaching. (pp.145-196). New York: Cambridge University Press.

This chapter begins with rationale for the language program. This is vital in creating a curriculum. It also talks about entry and exit levels, which talks about where the learners are and where they should be or where they need to be by end of the curriculum. The scope and sequence ties into this section as well. but further discusses course content into topics such as grammar, functions, topics, skills, processes, and text.
My reflection in this chapter is I like the reality check questions that one needs to be able to answer when creating curriculum. Anything worthwhile should be well organized and well planned. My personal connection to this chapter is that if it takes that long to make then I usually laminate my projects so that I can use them repeatedly. Language planning should be worthwhile in order to have effective input and output.
My question is in the lexical syllabus the number of vocabulary targeted for Elementary students is 1,000 words. Does this distinguish between basic English site words and vocabulary? I always separated the two. In selecting vocabulary, I chose about 8-10 words per week to study and explore from each reading, I always selected words that are not from the basic English site word list.

No comments: