Wednesday, November 26, 2008

Writing Assessment O'Malley & Valdez Pierce Chapter 6

This is by far the one subject that I really do not like assessing and in general I would rate myself a 4 on a scale from 0-10. Looking at the instructional uses found on page 160, here is the make up of that:
1. I rate myself a 4 in assessing the stages of writing development. I do have a little idea, however, it is something not fully documents, other than their first written piece in their Journals when school begins. We have this journal all year so I see their beginning entries, but I have not implemented a more formal documentations as in Figure 6.3.
2. I rate myself a 7 in assessing writing in the context of other language skills, and integrated languages assessment such as Reading, Social Studies, Science, Employability Skills, PE/Health, and Yup'ik. I do well integrating Writing to other Content Areas. Writing can be use in almost every part of their education, so I plug this into those outlets.
3. I rate myself a 7 in assessing all domains of writing, especially composition, in addition to sentence construction, word usage and mechanics. I use a program called Daily Language Practice everyday as guided instruction. This helps the grammar and language usage. However I do not make that connection of grammar and language usage in their paragraph writing or report writing, and letter writing.
4. As far as self assessment of writing I rate myself as 1, sharing scoring rubric rate is 1, and involving students in setting criteria is 1. I do like the student to pick their writing topics so that is a 5. This is my area needing improvement.
5. In assessing the writing process, I rate a 4 because I do let the students rewrite when necessary, however I do not follow the 6 Trait Writing Process. I do let the students publish or hang their written pieces.
6. I rate a 5 in using Multiple assessments of writing across various purposes, genres, and content areas. including written summaries and learning logs. As stated before I do include writing across the board, but I do not include rubrics other than the one needed in the Writing Level 2 assessment (not one we created -students and I), and I need to have them begin logging this process.
7. Including writing samples in their Portfolios, I rate a 5 because I do save written samples and add it to their thematic unit folders for parents to see. I do not further this as Writing Portfolios go, by having them self -evaluate or peer assess, and I have not had them make Table of Contents for their Portfolios, it is just some assignments they have completed in my classroom selected by me.
8. I do use results to begin planning so that I meet some needs of the student so I rate a 6. I do not have the students write personal goals and that needs to be in place.
In looking back since the beginning of the school year, one of fourteen of my students was able to write in a paragraph, stay on topic, and use proper grammar. Since then I have noticed another who has developed as a writer, shes now able to write a complete paragraph, complete with end marks, capitals, and stay on topic. So I do have a lot of room for improvement. I need to work to becoming a more student and portfolio friendly writing teacher. I need to begin to involve the students in their writing.
Some new terms after reading this chapter are on pages 142-144 the types of scoring. New to me are the Holistic Scoring and I like Figure 6.1 which is an example of a Holistic Rubric and primary trait which focuses on scoring one trait at a time in a written piece. I am familiar with Analytical scoring and that is represented in Figure 6.2. I have seen rubrics similar to this for 6 Trait writing.
Where to go from here? I have included some of these in my Assessment Portfolio and I do want to begin by having the students rate themselves as writers, and I want to document their development by using Figure 6.3 so that their stage or development is clear.

1 comment:

languagemcr said...

Terrific thorough self assessment Joanne! I like your idea of starting with the students and asking them about their writing interests and self assessment. This way you are putting the responsibility on them rather than everything on yourself. You've got a great start here.
Marilee