Wednesday, November 12, 2008

Valdez-Pierce & O'Malley:Chapter 5, Reading Assessment

Basic points in reading assessments (p. 132):
(BTW-thanks Quana I'm rating myself on a scale 0-10 in everything) :D
1. I do focus on validity when assessing reading. If I am going to teach reading activities, I focus on testing those activities taught. An example would be if I am teaching basic site words, I have them read them and use them in sentences. I rate myself an 8 in this.
2. In planning, timing, and experience of assessing reading, there are certain activities I have learned based on my experiences: these are the activities I use every year: introduce themed vocabulary based on reading, mutltiple choice tests on these, flash cards with themed vocabulary (just started during the SIOP lessons last spring) and have student read aloud and say in sentences, Miscue analysis to record reading fluency done per month, use of graphic organizers like Story Outlines for comprehension, reading journals, use both themed fiction and non-fiction, Home Reading ,and provide Silent Sustained Reading time daily. I rate myself an 8.
3. As stated in the previous, students are assessed in decoding and in fluency, and some comprehension assessments strategies include graphic organizers, reading journals, multiple choice, true/false, and some short questions.
4. As far as students attitudes and feelings toward reading, I rate myself as a 5 (0-10) because I am not consistent in this. I would like to begin using reading attitude surveys, and my short term goal is to begin having the students say how the story makes them feel.
5. Again as stated in the previous (#4), I am not consistent in making assessment accountable for students time management. I can say though the time they spend in school is quality in general, however there is always room for improvement.
6. I rate myself as a 9 in that assessment is on-going and regular. Althought this is not a 10, I do see some little areas where I can improve as in the areas of self and peer assessments, peer or shared reading, and students expressing how they feel about the stories.
7. I rate myself a 2 for students being actively involved in their own assessment, setting criteria, and engaging in self-assessment or peer evaluation. I have done pieces of these but not enough for the students to have that confidence in their own assessment. They would not be able to orally tell about these.
8. This is an interesting reading assessment tool that states teacher should be recording observations of reading systematically. I can say I am about a 6 in the scale. I do write my plans to reflect needs of students, based on standards not met yet. My plans are visible and printed, copies of my plans are in the computer so I can check back. Each student has a score summary sheet and a check off report card that is computerized, so records are on-going. But I do see where I can improve is maybe an activity like an anecdotal record and to actually print reports of their fluency reports for them to see. This is where I can have students write reading goals too and work toward that goal so that they can become fluent readers.
9. I would say I rate a 7 in using multiple assessments. I can alwasy use more like the reading portfolios complete with attitudes, peer assessments, and self assessments. I also like the idea of students being constructive with their reading logs like charting how many books read per month. That is something I would like to start.
10. So far I rate myself in using reading assessments to inform students, parents, and teachers as a 6. I do inform parents, and some teachers if they request info. But I do not use it as a means to inform students. I need to become more balanced to involve student in their own process and make them more aware, and more responsible for their reading.

2 comments:

languagemcr said...

Joann,
I like your idea of asking your students how they "feel" about certain readings. That way they tell you a lot about the content of the reading and how it relates to them personally. Really nice idea.
Also, taking Quana's suggestion to rate yourself helps to make you a more reflective teacher.
Fun BLOG to read.
Marilee

~Superwoman~ said...

Hi Marilee, I have thought abt it and decided to make a simple Reading and Writing porfolio, and I will call it their Reading/Writing folders to alleviate the stigma of "Portfolio Assessment" and keep it simple. I will start by sending that letter home from Valdez. I want them to graph their Reading logs from Sept and Oct, I want them to rate their reading, and I will show them their Reading fluency reports. For the Writing portion I plan on showing them the type of writing which are Reports, Letters, Journal Entries, and Notes and Cards. I wish for them to write all these types and have that in their repertoire since these are part of their Writing Level 2 Standards for LYSD. Hopefully they will be able to write simple goals in one of these areas. I will plan for this next week to get the ball rolling toward the Reading/Writing folders. Whew! I am proud of myself for thinking of this. I chose only to focus on Reading and Writing because this can be applied to any Content areas.