Sunday, September 14, 2008

LING 612-Dr. Coles-Ritchie

Newspaper article: Teacher Refuses to Give Test

My overall impression of this is if you are passionate about something you believe in , don't ever hesitate to do what is in your heart. I am not brave enough in most cases to do what I feel in my heart, therefore if I felt so strongly about High stakes tests as he did, I would not have the strength to do what he did. I'm sure he weighed his options and thought about the long term effects of such decisions. For me I would decide that I would be more helpful in the classroom and with my students to decide to do that even if it meant I had to administer a test I did not believe in. I've come to believe in the things I have control over within my life and the things that I can't control, I try to focus on what's here in front of me. I would find alternatives to show parents progress that the students have gained even if the student may not have met the requirements to graduate. It's not the end of the world if the student does not graduate with his classmates that year. I have seen several of my nieces and nephews here in this town come back the next year and passed the test a year later.
The quote he said, "All we have to do is have faith in these kids and work as hard as we can with these kids and their families and they're going to do fine." suggests that he does feel for the kids, but his choice was poor because now he is not working for the school and the kids he talked about. Looking at the long term effects of his choice, he talked about good weather for gardening, what about the students he said he said he has faith in? This statement is rather contradictory of what he is doing now.

No comments: