Saturday, September 11, 2010

Back to Work

So I am back at work this year and this time as a Graduate. I am learning how to manage work and raising my teenage son of 16. It's different coming home without studying.
I had a great summer; we went to Fairbanks for ten days in June, Anchorage for another 10, and Hawai'i on the 10th of July for two weeks. I came home for abt two weeks. After my vacation, I went on a day trip to pick salmon berries with my sister Susan and her family. It was the hottest and calmest day with swarms of angry mosquitoes all around. At the end of the day, I had three gallons of salmon berries stored for the winter, which is enough for my son and I.
I traveled back to work to Anchorage for our district In-Service held in the Hilton. My first day back at work was on August 16. The In-Service was on 6 + 1 Writing Traits. We were grouped according to Primary, Grades 3-6 teachers and Jr. High and High School teachers. Everyone was in a 6 + 1 Trait Writing session. I gained useful insights on planning, implementing, and assessing 6 + 1 Writing Traits using picture books. I have a great understanding on how I can tailor it to include it within my Thematic Unit on Diversity. I also started using the SIOP method beginning with the Content and Language Objectives visible within the classroom. I agree that objectives should include language objectives and through SIOP I am able to do just that.
The only thing that remains is for me to get back into a nice routine without studying since I earned my MA in May. I need a good routine to get back into health and fitness. So far, I have not really started my diet and exercise, but I am making strides toward that.
Today I picked a gallon of blackberries and I think I need to go at least 3 more times to stock up for the winter. It feels odd, not studying, but I like the freedom. I just need to learn how to manage freedom again. Sounds funny, but I do.

2 comments:

Unknown said...

Hello, Sikdo. It has been a while. Congratulations on finishing your masters. That took a lot of hardwork and dedication. I can't wait to see your pictures of all the places you travel once you get on your trip around the world. It sounds exciting. I wish you the best and may the Lord continue to bless you and your family.

-Concepcion
P.S. drop me a line once you have a chance at ortegac16@yahoo.com

~Superwoman~ said...

Hi Concepcion. Man, it has been awhile. Every year has it challenges, but this year I am relieved to have completed my Masters. I am still at Scammon Bay and counting down the days until we break for summer. So cute that you remembered I have a nickname, it is actually Sido (means Sister). Thank you for the message and best wishes to you and your family. :)